There’s nothing worse than planting a new plant in your garden only for it to die off because the pH of your soil isn’t suited to it. Plants can be very fussy about the soil they are planted in depending on the variety that you opt for.
However, you can’t tell from a single glance what the pH of your soil is. So you will need a piece of gardening kit to help you work out what the pH of your soil is before you put your plant anywhere near it.
This is where a soil pH test kit comes in handy. These are simple and easy for you to use, and can give you quick and accurate results. This can make your gardening life much easier, as you can have a better idea of what things you can plant in your garden, and whether you need to adjust the pH level of your soil to do this.
But with so many different types of products on the market, how can you choose the best soil pH test kit for your needs?
We’ve done all the hard work for you so that you don’t have to. We’ve researched and reviewed hundreds of products to find you the best soil pH test kits on the market.
We’ve whittled it down to the best 9 products using our strict review criteria to ensure that you will get the accurate results that you need. Let’s take a look at the best soil pH test kits for you to use in your garden.
The SONKIR Soil pH Meter easily earns our spot of top pick. This particular soil pH test kit comes in at a competitive price, so you’ll get the accurate results you need without having to spend a small fortune.
This particular soil pH test kit is an analog meter that will be highly accurate and reliable. It features double needle detection technology to give you better accuracy with quick results.
You’ll quickly get the accurate results you need when using this soil pH test kit. The double needle detection technology will give you immediate results when you place the needles into your soil.
This meter is also super easy to use, and you don’t need any batteries or electricity to power it. All you need to do is insert the probes into your soil and you’ll get the fast results that you’re after.
A handy feature of this soil pH test kit is that it comes with 3-in1 functionality. You can use it to accurately measure the pH of your soil, as well as the moisture and sunlight content.
So this can help you to accurately measure all aspects of your soil to find out which plants will grow best in it. It will also make it easier to tell when your plants need a thorough watering.
It couldn’t be easier to use this soil pH test kit in your garden. You can easily switch between which feature you would like to use thanks to the handy switch button on the front of the device. It is also a compact design that is easily portable, and you can use it both inside and outside to make it more versatile.
- Accurate – gives you reliable results using double needle detection technology
- Easy to use – simply insert the probe into your soil for about 2 to 4 inches in depth
- 3-in-1 function – accurately measures soil pH, moisture, and sunlight levels
- Moist soil – your soil will need to be moist for an accurate reading
- Kindly NOTE: This soil tester can not be applied to test pH value of any other liquid. If the soil is too dry the indicator will not move, and water it before testing.
- 3 METERS IN ONE: Soil moisture level, Soil pH value and Sunlight level could be tested easily according to your need by switching the function button of this soil meter.
- NO BATTERY NEEDED: Simply insert the meter into soil, wait few minutes, accurate test results will be displayed on the readout panel. No battery is needed.
- STURDY AND SCIENTIFIC DESIGN: Reliable materials and upgraded technology used for this soil meter make it advanced and high-quality for long-term use.
- MULTIPURPOSE SOIL TEST KIT: Portable and compact design enables you to use this soil meter for house garden, farm, lawn and any other soil & plant analysis. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
The Atree Soil pH Meter is another fantastic choice if you want highly accurate readings. This particular soil pH meter features two probes which you insert into the soil.
These probes are highly sensitive, and will be able to pick up any changes in your soil and show these on the easy to read display. This will give you the accurate measurements that you need for efficient gardening.
Another great feature of this soil pH test kit is that it’s available at a competitive price. So you can buy an accurate soil pH test kit that will be super easy to use without it costing you a small fortune. This makes the Atree Soil pH Meter a great choice for those working to a budget.
It couldn’t be easier to use this soil pH meter. All you need to do is gently stick the probes into the earth, and you’ll get the accurate measurements that you’re after.
You will need to stick the probes in for a depth of around 4 to 6 inches to get the accurate reading you require. It also isn’t powered by batteries or electricity, so you won’t have to worry about the meter running out of charge or hooking it up to an external power source.
This particular soil pH meter is super versatile. Not only will it accurately measure the pH of your soil, but it will also measure the moisture level as well as the sunlight content.
This will be ideal if you want to ensure that your plants are getting everything they need to grow healthy. It will also save you from buying multiple meters to measure all of these features.
- Budget friendly – available at a competitive price
- Versatile – features a 3-in-1 function to measure soil pH, moisture, and sunlight
- Easy to use – simply insert the probes into your soil and get accurate readings
- Fragile – the probes can break if placed in the ground too forcefully
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONS: You can measure soil moisture, pH value and sunlight intensity. It's helpful for you to plant flowers, plants and make them grow healthy and strong(This soil tester CAN ONLY be used in soil, it CANNOT be used to test any liquids)
- EASY TO USE: Simply insert the probes into the soil about 4-6 inches (2/3 of the probes), and you'll get your reading
- COMPACT FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Know when to water, adjust pH, or change lighting for your flowers, plants both indoor and outdoor
- NO BATTERY NEEDED: No batteries or electricity needed, plug and read
- SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE: Sensitive probe could sense changes of the soil and transfer details to the conductor, displaying the accurate values for you
The Primens 3-in-1 Soil pH Meter will give you everything you need to better understand the soil in your garden. This particular soil pH test kit features 3-in-1 functionality.
It can be used to measure the pH of your soil, measure the moisture content of your soil, and to measure the light levels in your soil. This will help you to work out what extra help your plants need to grow stronger.
You won’t have to worry about powering this soil pH meter. It doesn’t require the use of any batteries or any electricity. This particular soil pH test kit is powered using solar energy, so as long as it gets ample sunlight, you’ll be able to use it in a pinch.
You won’t have to worry about swapping out batteries at the last minute to ensure that you can use the soil pH meter.
It couldn’t be easier to use the Primens 3-in-1 Soil pH Meter. All you need to do is place the probes between 2 to 4 inches into the soil, and you will be able to get the accurate readings that you’re after.
You can also easily swap between the three functions that you would like to measure using the handy switch on the front of the device. Once you’ve finished using your soil pH meter, you can simply wipe the probes clean to ensure that you get accurate results every time.
There’s no need to worry about any complicated readings. This soil pH meter features an easy to read display so that you can accurately work out what the readings are.
It will also deliver the accurate readings you need thanks to the use of double needle technology. This will be more accurate than soil pH test kits that only include a single needle to measure readings.
- Multiple uses – can measure the pH of your soil, moisture, as well as light levels
- Accurate – gives you the accurate results you need
- Plug and play – doesn’t require batteries or electricity to work
- Fragile – you will need to be careful when placing the tester in your soil
The yoyomax Soil pH Test Kit gives you everything you need to cut out the guesswork in your gardening. This will give you the accurate results you need so that you can better understand the condition of your soil as well as the needs of your plants.
It features a compact and portable design so that you can use it both indoors as well as outdoors.
A great feature of this soil pH test kit is that it uses a 3-in-1 design. So you can accurately measure the pH of your soil as well as other factors.
You will be able to use this soil pH meter to also check the moisture levels of your soil, as well as the light levels. So you’ll be able to easily discover what care and attention your plants need to thrive in your soil.
What’s really fantastic about this soil pH meter is that you can use it straight out of the box. It doesn’t need to be powered using any batteries or electricity. It is powered using solar power, so you can easily place the meter in your soil to get accurate readings straightaway.
You won’t have to worry about this particular soil pH test kit letting you down. The manufacturer is so confident that you will get the results you need from this soil pH test kit that they are offering a 12 month warranty with the device.
You can also take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee. So if you’re not 100% satisfied with your new soil pH test kit, you can send it back for a refund or replacement.
- Versatile – comes with 3-in-1 function to measure soil pH, moisture, and light
- Plug and play – can be used straight out of the box without electricity or batteries
- Compact – easy to move around your garden as needed
- Fragile – you will need to be careful when placing the device in your soil
- Cut the guess work altogether and make your plants much happier. You will know what your plant need when and why; your plants will be healthier and growing.
- 3 in 1 design (Moisture/pH/Light Tester) provides you a comprehensive idea about the soil condition of your garden and lawn. With a quick check, you can tell if you need to adjust the plant food/water and if your plants get enough sunlight.
- No batteries or electricity needed, ready to use out of box. Plug and read, making gardening easier than ever.
- Compact and portable for indoor/outdoor use. A necessity for anyone who gardens or has houseplants, it will come in handy whenever you grow an interest in gardening.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We take pride in delivering top quality products and offering our friendly 12 Months Warranty PLUS 30 days money back guarantee for any reason. You can contact us through clicking "Sold by Garden Tools Direct" on the product detail page or your Amazon order page and you will be directed to "Ask a question" to send us message.
Looking for an accurate chemical dye soil pH test kit? Then the Luster Leaf Rapitest Test Kit for Soil pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potash should be your soil pH test kit of choice.
This particular soil pH test kit gives you everything you need to accurately work out the pH of your soil, including a comprehensive list of instructions to show you how to easily follow their step by step process. This makes the Luster Leaf Rapitest kit ideal for both experienced gardeners and beginners.
What’s really great about this particular soil pH test kit is that you will get 4 different tests included. You can test the pH of your soil, as well as test your soil for nitrogen, potassium, and potash. So this will give you a better idea of what care and attention your soil needs to make it optimal for growing your favorite plants.
Another great feature of this soil pH test kit is that you will get multiple tests included. You will get 40 tests with this package, 10 for each of the 4 methods.
You will get everything you need included to get the accurate results that you’re after. There’s also the option of purchasing 20 kits if you wanted to use a smaller amount first to ensure that you preferred this method of testing your soil.
You won’t have to wait ages to get the accurate results that you’re after. By following the step by step capsule system, you’ll get the results that you need within several minutes. This will be much easier than using a lab method where you need to send off your test to get the results you want.
- Quick results – no need to wait for several days to find out the pH of your soil
- Versatile – can be used to test the pH level of your soil as well as nitrogen, phosphorous, and potash
- Easy to use – includes a complete set of instructions to show you how to use the test kit
- Limited tests – can only use a certain number of tests on your soil
- Quick, at home results for Soil pH, Nitrogen, Phosphrous and Potash
- Innovative and inexpensive soil test kit features an easy-to-use capsule system and patented color comparators
- Contains all components needed for 40 tests. 10 for each of pH, N, P and K
- Simple, detailed instructions included. Great for beginners and experienced gardeners alike.
- Soil pH preference list for over 450 plants included
The Kensizer 3-in-1 Soil Tester is another fantastic option if you would prefer to use an analog method. This particular soil pH test kit will give you immediate results once you have inserted the probes into your soil.
You also won’t have to worry about how you’re going to power the soil pH test kit as it is solar powered. There will be no need to worry about batteries or plugging it into an electricity source.
You’ll get 3 functions in one if you were to opt for this particular soil pH test kit. It will test the pH value of your soil, as well as the moisture level and sunlight level. It will deliver the quick and accurate readings you need to better understand the quality of your soil.
What’s really great about this soil pH test kit is that it makes use of double prove detection technology. This works to give you the better, more accurate results that you need. The accurate data you gather will help you to understand what work needs to be done on your soil to make it the optimum environment for your favorite plants.
A handy feature of this soil pH test kit is its compact, portable design. This means you can easily use it both outdoors in your veg patch or lawn, as well as indoors with your potted plants. This can help you to give the care to your soil that it needs so that your plants can thrive.
- 3-in-1 – gives you better value for money
- Portable – can be used anywhere in your garden
- Accurate results – quick and easy to use for accurate results
- Small pH scale – could be hard to read for those with eyesight problems
- Moisture/pH Testers in One Set - Clear reading dashboard with arrow pointer, wide scale interval and large number. Lightweight and portable, making it convenient for on-the-go testing.
- No Battery Required -- Save you from changing the battery, simply plug and play. Kindly note that DO NOT leave the meter in the soil for a long time, prevent it from corroding.
- Single Probe Detection -- Make it easier to insert into the soil and lessen damage to the probe and get you more accurate data quickly.
- Regarding pH Value -- To get the relative pH value close to the absolute value, soil moisture should be between 4 and 7. the margin of error between relative and absolute PH value is around 1-2.
- Quality Assurance -- Any quality issues, please feel free to contact us. NOTE: DO NOT use it to test liquids.
The Garden Tutor Soil pH Test Strips Kit is an ideal alternative if you prefer to use the strip test kit method. This particular soil pH test kit has been specially designed with soil pH testing in mind. So you can rest assured that it will be highly accurate and give you the results that you’re after.
You won’t have to wait ages to get the pH value of your soil. This particular soil pH test kit will give you super fast results within a couple of minutes. Ideal if you don’t want to send your test kit off to a lab to wait for results to arrive.
Another great feature of this kit is that it is super easy to use. You will get a detailed 16 page handbook included to walk you through the process step by step.
It also includes lime and sulfur charts so that you can accurately work out the state of your soil. This will allow you to optimize your soil pH so that you can meet your favorite plants’ specific pH needs.
What’s really great about this soil pH test kit is that you will get a whopping 100 tests included. This will give you even better value for money as you won’t have to worry about buying additional soil pH test kits after only 10 or 20 tests.
- Fast results – get your results within minutes of testing your soil
- 100 soil test – gives you better value for money
- Complete instructions – includes a detailed handbook to show you how to accurately measure the pH of your soil
- Color matching – matching the colors to your chart may require your judgement
- Calibrated specifically for soil pH testing with fast and accurate soil test results in 60 seconds at home
- 2nd Generation ph soil test kit with simplified 3 pad design for improved accuracy to easily optimize soil pH. Garden Tutor soil ph tester strips are designed to work in all soil types including sand, silt, clay and loam soils and a detailed testing instructional guidebook is provided to help you garden like a pro.
- Enough soil test strips for 100 soil pH tests - Since soil pH can vary in different areas it is important to take multiple soil pH tests around your property. Essential for lawn soil pH testing and adjustments.
- Optimize soil pH to plants specific needs to increase nutrient availability. Proper soil pH is an essential key needed to unlock nutrients in your soil and make them available to plants. If your soil is too acidic or too alkaline for your plants they won't thrive. Perfect for indoor and outdoor applications. Houseplants, flowers, herbs, potted plants, annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, fruits, and vegetables benefit from proper pH levels.
- Includes detailed full color pH testing handbook with lime and sulfur application charts to give you all the tools needed to raise or lower your garden soil pH. Garden Tutor soil pH testers are easy to use and provide fast results for gardeners and growers that want to increase yields. A perfect vegetable gardening soil tester for soil pH that will help you grow more crops and eliminate nutrient deficiencies.
If you’re concerned about the accuracy of home test kits, then the MySoil Soil Test Kit is the perfect soil pH test kit for you.
This particular test kit requires you to get a sample of your soil, add it to the included equipment, and then send this off to the manufacturer’s laboratory so that it can be professionally analyzed by scientists. This will give you the super accurate results that you’re after so you can get a better idea of which plants can grow in your soil.
A handy feature of this soil pH test kit is that you can use it to test the soil for any growing scenario. No matter whether it’s for your lawn or turf, trees, vegetable patch, flowers, compost, or any other type of gardening method, this soil pH test kit will give you the accurate results you need.
You’ll get everything you need included with this particular kit. It includes a single use soil sample kit, a list of easy to follow instructions, as well as a prepaid envelope for you to mail your soil sample to the laboratory.
Perfect if you want to follow an easy process that will give you super accurate results. So you won’t have to worry about any trial and error as you sometimes encounter with home soil pH test kits.
What’s really great about this soil pH test kit is that you can access your accurate results online within 6 to 8 days of sending off your sample. The manufacturer will also recommend specific fertilizers to suit your particular soil depending on your results.
- Accurate – delivers the accurate results you need
- Versatile – you can measure the soil for any aspect of your garden
- Complete kit – you’ll get everything you need included in the kit
- Lab required – you will have to wait longer for results after you send your soil sample off to the manufacturer’s laboratory
- KNOW BEFORE YOU GROW | Grow the healthiest, sustainable lawn and garden with the most accurate and easy to use professional soil test kit on the market
- ROOTED RESULTS | Unlike at home ph meters and test strips, our mail-in professional lab analysis measures 13 plant available nutrient levels including Nitrogen and pH
- FOR ANY GROWING SCENARIO | Tests any soil type and gardening condition - lawn & turf, vegetable gardening, flowers, compost, trees, vines, ornamental landscape, house plants, soil-less media or hydroponics
- IN THE KIT | 1 single-use soil sample kit with all you need, easy to follow instructions, prepaid mailing envelope addressed to our testing lab, and dedicated customer support
- NO MORE TRIAL & ERROR | Online results in 6-8 days with tailored organic and synthetic fertilizer recommendations on how to effectively amend your soil to sustainably grow the healthiest plant possible
No products found.
If you want to spend a little bit extra on a product that you can trust, then the Luster Leaf Rapitest Electronic 4-Way Analyzer is perfect for your needs. This particular soil pH test kit has been created by a trustworthy brand that will give you the super accurate results that you’re after.
Unlike the vast majority of analog test kits, this particular soil pH meter will give you 4-in-1 functionality. It will measure your soil for its pH value, moisture content, sunlight levels, as well as for its fertility.
So you will get a better understanding of which plants you can grow in which areas of your garden. This will also save you from having to purchase 4 separate meters to measure each individual measurement.
It couldn’t be easier to use this particular soil pH test kit. It features a large, easy to read display so that you can accurately work out your readings. It also includes simple instructions for you to follow so that you can easily use the device for your results.
Another great feature of this soil pH test kit is that it is super versatile. You can use this soil pH test kit for all gardening aspects in your backyard. It can be used for fruits and veggies, for shrubs and trees, for flowers and other plants, as well as for your lawn.
- 4-in-1 – product will test the pH of your soil as well as measure moisture, fertility, and sunlight
- Value for money – saves you from having to purchase 4 different meters
- Easy to use – comes with a comprehensive list of instructions to make it even easier to use
- Pricey – one of the more expensive models on the market
No products found.
Choosing the best soil pH kits for your needs can be a real challenge. Especially if you’re not entirely sure what to look for! It can be confusing knowing which type of soil pH test kit to opt for. Which style of test kit offers the best and most accurate results?
What are the features that you should prioritize when choosing the best soil pH test kit for your needs? It can be an overwhelming experience trying to decide which soil pH test kit is going to be ideal for your garden.
We’ve put together this useful buyer’s guide to help you. We’ve made sure to include all of the essential information that you will need to know about soil pH test kits before you commit to your purchase.
As long as you bear the below factors in mind when it comes to choosing your next soil pH test kit, you can rest assured that you are buying the best product for your needs. You can also use the below information to make a fully informed decision.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about soil pH test kits below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
Type of Test Kit
The most important thing that you will need to consider before you choose your best soil pH test kit is which type of test kit you would like to opt for. There are three different types of soil pH test kits to choose from: electronic meters, chemical dye test kits, and a strip test soil pH meter.
Each of these will deliver the accurate results that you need, however, they will use different methods to do this. You may find that one method is easier to use than the other.
Electronic meters feature a series of probes that you place into your soil to give you more accurate readings. These are very accurate, and will give you a reading down to the nearest decimal point.
The only thing to bear in mind is that these models can sometimes be more expensive to purchase. However, you can use these on multiple occasions.
Chemical dye test kits will involve placing a small amount of your soil into a container such as a petri dish, and then adding some water to this. You will then need to add the dye solution to the water and soil mixture, which will then change the color so that you can figure out what the pH of your soil is. While these results are accurate, it requires more effort than simply placing a meter in the soil.
Strip test soil pH meters work similarly to the litmus tests that you likely used in high school chemistry class. This will make use of pH test strips to accurately measure the pH of your soil.
Similar to chemical dye tests, this will require you to place some of your soil in a container with some water, which you can then dip your pH test paper into.
You should consider the merits and drawbacks of each style of soil pH test kit and then choose the best one for your needs.
You will of course want to choose a soil pH test kit that will give you accurate results. There’s no point in opting for a cheap and cheerful soil pH test kit if it’s going to give you inaccurate results.
Think about the method that you are using to measure the pH of your soil. Does it give you a meter reading in numbers? Or do you have to use a pH color chart to figure out the pH of your soil? You may find that you have a preference for one over the other.
A number reading will be arguably more accurate, as it will give you the exact pH reading of your soil. A color chart could come down to your personal judgment, which might not be quite the accurate reading that you are after.
Easy To Use
It will be important to choose a soil pH test kit that will be super easy for you to use. This will of course feature several factors.
Can you use the soil pH test kit straight out of the box? Do you need to follow any complicated steps to work out the pH of your soil or can you simply stick a probe into your soil to get the accurate reading you need? Does your test kit give you immediate results, or do you have to send it off to a laboratory and then wait for the accurate results?
The easier your soil pH test kit is to use, the easier it will make your life as a gardener.
You may wish to consider your particular budget before you choose the best soil pH test kit for your needs. Depending on the style of soil pH test kit that you prefer, this could be more expensive. Some electronic meters are often pricier, however, this is a one off purchase that will last you for many years to come.
Some of the cheaper products such as a chemical dye test kit or a strip test soil pH meter may be cheaper to buy upfront, however, these often only give you a limited number of tests to use. So once you have run out of the chemical dye or test strips that you need to use, you will need to buy these again.
You should weigh up all the essential factors you need from your soil pH test kit, and choose the best option that you can afford.
The more versatile your soil pH test kit is, the better. If you’re a keen gardener, chances are that you’ll want to test multiple areas of your garden so that you can grow a variety of plants.
So you will need to choose a soil pH test kit that can be used on your lawn, flower beds, veg patch, containers, and many more. This will give you better value for your money and ensure that you can get the accurate results you need to grow beautiful greenery.
Number of Uses
Another factor for you to consider is how many uses you can get out of your new soil pH test kit. Is it an electronic meter that can be used several times for the life of the device? Or is it a chemical dye or strip test soil pH meter which only gives you a limited number of uses before you need to purchase another soil pH test kit?
While your soil pH test kit may seem like it’s saving you money, if it only gives you a limited number of uses, you could end up having to spend more money over time.
To give you even better value for money, you should think about any other additional features that your soil pH test kit comes with. Most electronic meters can check your soil’s pH, as well as other factors such as moisture and sunlight levels. This will save you from having to buy additional meters to measure these levels.
Some chemical dye test kits can even test your soil for levels of different chemicals such as potassium, nitrogen, and many more. This can help you to better understand the condition of your soil, so that you can problem shoot any issues that may prevent you from growing certain plants.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most accurate soil pH tester?
The best soil pH test kits are:
- SONKIR Soil pH Meter
- Atree Soil pH Meter
- Primens 3-in-1 Soil pH Meter
- yoyomax Soil pH Test Kit
- Luster Leaf Rapitest Test Kit for Soil pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potash
- Kensizer 3-in-1 Soil Tester
- Garden Tutor Soil pH Test Strips Kit
- MySoil Soil Test Kit
- Luster Leaf Rapitest Electronic 4-Way Analyzer
How accurate are soil pH test kits?
The accuracy of soil pH test kits will differ depending on the type of soil pH test kit that you opt for. There are three different types of soil pH test kit to choose from: an electronic meter, chemical dye soil pH meter, and a strip test soil pH meter.
Electronic meters are known to be the most accurate of these three types, however, they can be on the more expensive end of the spectrum. It will be worth considering how often you will need to test the pH of your soil and which test will be more convenient for you to use.
What is the best way to test soil pH?
The best way to test soil pH is to use a specific soil pH test kit. This will make the process much smoother and give you accurate results to show you what you can and can’t grow in your garden. It can also show you if you need to adjust the pH of your soil.
There are certain DIY methods you can use to estimate the pH of your soil, however, there’s no guarantee that these will actually be accurate. It will be much better to spend a little bit of money on an accurate pH test so that you can get a set of reliable results.
Do home soil test kits work?
Yes, home soil test kits do work. As long as you’ve chosen one of the great products that we’ve reviewed in more detail above, you can rest assured that they will be perfect for your needs.