A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule– Michael Pollan
Pollan was right. The only way to nurture and properly care for a lawn is with a diligent, thorough, and all-encompassing approach to maintenance.
Ensuring that the centerpiece of your garden is immaculately tended to and always looks the same in the real world as it does in your mind’s eye is a full-time job that requires dedication, planning, and a little horticultural know-how.
Every single time, without fail, that we say that to a would-be gardener, they either run for the hills and abandon all of their yard plans or they hunker down, nod their heads and get ready to dig in for the long haul.
The truth is often painful to hear and can be a hard lesson to learn, especially when it involves giving up a large chunk of your leisure time to your garden.
However, there are ways to make your gardening life easier, that can simplify lawn care and reduce the amount of attention that the jewel in your horticultural crown demands and needs from you.
And right at the top of that gardening cheat list is weed and feed, the secret key to every lawn lover’s heart.
Because we know how closed off and furtive the gardening community was when we began our outdoor odyssey, and have first-hand experience of the way that it can often close ranks when any fresh-faced, green-fingered amateurs ask for help, we’ve made it our mission to make sure that we’ll provide as many answers to garden maintenance questions as we possibly can.
Gardening should be fun, and we should all be part of an inclusive community whose members are there for each other and are ready to assist one another whenever, and however, they can.
And as we believe in leading by example, we’ve compiled a list of the eleven best weed and feeds and everything that you need to know about when and how to use them so that you won’t have to work until your fingers bleed and your back feels as though it’s about to splinter into a million tiny fragments in order to make your lawn shine like a candle in the darkness.
Why eleven? Because the number represents balance and harmony, which is what a well-cared for and tended lawn will add to both your garden and your life. It’s time to forget about working harder, and learn how to work smarter…
What Is Weed And Feed?
Sometimes we tend to get a little carried away and it doesn’t even occur to us that you might not be au fait with the litany of gardening terms that have become part of our day to day lexicon, so before we begin to talk about the best weed and feeds that should be a part of every horticultural shed, we should probably explain what they are.
In the simplest terms, weed and feeds are lawn-friendly herbicides and fertilizers that eliminate weeds and nurture and feed grass and your lawn at the same time.
It’s just an easy way to say that they’ll do all the weeding hard work for you while making sure that your lawn thrives and flourishes. Now that’s out of the way, we can straight down to business and start talking about the best weed and feeds…
Let’s start with a little horticultural prestidigitation because strictly speaking Miracle-Gro’s miracle (if they didn’t want us to use the word, they should have left it out of their name) lawn feed isn’t actually a weed killer.
It was designed to specifically provide your lawn with all of the nutrients that help grass to grow, without providing sustenance for any weeds.
Think of it as a two-tier lawn feed that only serves a menu that grass will enjoy, and you’ll be on the right track. At least, that’s how we understand the scientific principle behind it.
Shake ‘N’ Feed is an all-natural combination of micro-ingredients that was created to work above and below the soil, which feeds grass and, in Miracle-Gro’s words, “productive plants” which is their way of saying “not weeds” by strengthening their roots and providing all of the nutrients that they need to thrive.
The Best Time To Use It: It’s an all-season weed and feed that should be used throughout the year. Ideally, you’ll need to apply and use it every three months to make sure that it’s only the grass and not the weeds that are being fed by you, or nature.
How To Use It: It needs to be applied while your lawn is dry, and shouldn’t be used while either the grass or soil is wet. It’s also important to make sure that you don’t use too much or over saturate your lawn with Shake ‘N’ Feed.
Miracle-Gro recommends that you don’t use more than half a cup per ten square feet and then lightly mix it into your lawn and any areas that you want to keep free from weeds. It really is that easy.
- It’s a Nurturer, Not A Murderer – It’s a fertilizer, it isn’t a weedkiller. It won’t kill anything in your garden and is perfectly safe and natural to use. And you’ll know that it’s working because your lawn will be all grass and no weeds.
- All-Natural – As it uses natural ingredients, it’s safe to apply it all year round without having to worry about the health and safety of your dogs or cats, or any other neighborhood pets who might venture into your garden or onto your lawn.
- It’s A Prevention, Not A Cure – If weeds have already appeared, and have established a foothold on your lawn, it’s too late to use Shake ‘N’ Feed. It’ll stop weeds growing if you head them off at the pass, but it won’t cure a weed infestation. It isn’t a herbicide, it’s selective fertilizer that only nourishes “productive” plants.
- Full of essential nutrients that help feed and nourish above and below the soil
- Contains vital micronutrients to grow stronger, vibrant and more productive plants versus unfed plants
- Contains natural ingredients that help feed and nourish above and below the soil; Feeds up to 3 months
- Guaranteed not to burn when used as directed
- For use in ground and in containers
Scotts have a sterling and well-earned reputation in the gardening community and while they like to promote the idea that they’re one of America’s most widely used and popular brands of weed killer and fertilizer, as we can’t actually (which means that there is no discernible way to do it) prove or disprove that claim, we’ll just have to take their word for it.
They’re so confident that their weed and feed will do exactly what they say it will, if you’re not happy with the results, Scotts will give you your money back.
Admittedly, it’ll be too late to stop the weed infestation at that point, but as the weed and feed will have wiped them out, it isn’t something that you need to even think, or worry about.
Turf Builder feeds and nurtures the grass in your lawn and ensures that it grows thick and fast, which helps to crowd any weeds out, while their patented WeedGrip technology identifies and clings to the roots of the weeds that are already being smothered by the well-fed grass and eliminates them.
It doesn’t just cling to the roots of the weeds, it also adheres to the two-in-one fertilizer and herbicide principle that lies at the heart of the weed and feed ideology.
The Best Time To Use It: In a word, Spring. Although ideally, you should use Scotts Turf Builder every six weeks or so right up until the beginning of Fall. This means you’ll only have to use it four, or maybe five times a year between the beginning of March and mid-September.
How To Use It: This is where it gets even easier. All you need to do is sprinkle the granules onto your lawn while it is wet and pray that it doesn’t rain anytime in the next twenty-four hours.
The crucial time period gives the Turf Builder a chance to start feeding your grass and strangling your weeds, and a day after it’s started doing what it does best, the rain won’t be able to wash it away.
- Gets To Work Straight Away – From the moment you start shaking it onto your lawn, it starts destroying almost all of the weeds (including dandelions and clover) that have slowly but surely begun to appear.
- Stronger Than Before – Scotts claim that their new formula Turf Builder is twice as strong as their old one and that it’s twice as effective at killing weeds and feeding your grass as it used to be. It’s stronger, faster, and more effective than it was before.
- Six-Month Window – It’ll take care of all the lawn-bound jobs (bar mowing and cutting) that no one likes to do for six months of the year. From March to September, Scotts have got your lawn care covered.
- Not All Weeds – It won’t kill every type of weed, and isn’t exactly what you’d call effective in the ongoing battle against crabgrass. If you want to fight that particular weed, you’ll have to use an entirely different Scotts product.
- Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed3 weed killer plus fertilizer kills existing listed weeds and feeds to thicken your lawn and crowd out future weeds
- Controls over 50 listed lawn weeds, including clover, dandelion, plantain, morningglory, chicory, eveningprimrose, and purslane
- Apply this combination weed control and lawn food to a wet lawn when weeds are actively growing and daytime temperatures are consistently between 60°F and 90°F
- This lawn care product can be applied to Bahiagrass, Bermudagrass, Bluegrass, Centipedegrass, Fescue, Ryegrass, and Zoysiagrass
- One 14.29 lb. bag of Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed3 covers 5,000 sq. ft.
You know that old saying about leaving something alone if it isn’t broken? That’s why we’re sticking with Scotts for a minute, as they don’t just make one extraordinarily good weed and feed, they produce two and if anything, this is the one that we prefer.
Why? Because it’s easier to use, it’s slightly more versatile and isn’t as time reliant or dependent as the granulated version of their Turf Builder is.
It uses an incredibly simple idea. The liquid Turf Builder is designed to turbocharge the nitrogen levels in the soil of your lawn, which is akin to feeding the grass in it a twenty-four diet of steroids while wiping out the weeds by saturating them in Scotts patented WeedGrip formula.
And as the list of weeds that it can, and will effectively neutralize is longer than the Gettysburg Address, and as we, and you, don’t have the time to talk about all of them, you’ll just have to take our word for it when we say that if you have a weed problem that no one else can help you with, and you can find it, then you need to start spraying your lawn with liquid Turf Builder.
When To Use It: Unlike a lot of other weed and feeds, Scott’s liquid formula isn’t seasonally dependent, and can be sprayed all year around. As soon as you see any weeds appearing, you can just break out the Turf Builder and start spraying.
How To Use It: Scotts like to keep things simple and straightforward. All you need to do is shake the bottle, connect your hose pipe to it, turn the faucet on and start spraying your lawn.
When you’ve finished, turn the water off, disconnect your hose, and put the TurfBuilder away until you need to use it again. We do however recommend that you wear a pair of gardening gloves while you’re spraying your lawn, just to be on the safe side.
- Keeping It Simple – All you need to do to spray your lawn is attach a hose and start pulling the trigger on the bottle.
- Two In One – It’ll turbo boost the grass in your lawn and wipe out the weeds that are infiltrating it at the same time. It feeds and it kills, which is exactly what weed and feed should do.
- Ninety Nine Point Nine Percent Of Weeds – And it’s effective against ninety-nine point nine percent of weeds. It won’t kill crabgrass but it will kill just about everything else.
- Lawn Only, Grass Only – Whatever you do, don’t try and use it on any other plants in your garden or anything other than grass and grass seeded lawns. If you do, the outcome will be less than pleasant and you’ll be sorry that you did. Remember, lawns and grass only.
- Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control kills listed weeds, all while giving your lawn a quick boost of nitrogen
- Liquid weed killer plus fertilizer controls dandelion, clover, ground ivy, henbit, chickweed, plantain, poison ivy, and other broadleaf weeds as listed
- Apply this ready-to-spray when weeds are actively growing
- This lawn care product is for use on Bluegrass, Fescue, Ryegrass, Bahiagrass, Common Bermudagrass, Centipedegrass, and Zoysiagrass
- Simply connect Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control to a garden hose, turn on water, and spray
You’re probably starting to think that when we promised that we were going to present you with a list of weed and feed solutions that would make your life easier, you didn’t imagine for a minute that you’d have to keep doing the same thing over and over again.
If your mind is starting to drift toward that scenario, we can’t say that we blame you, which is why we’ve brought the big gun that you only need to use once every six months to the lawn care party. Because if you’re going to do a job properly, you should get it right the first time, and once should be enough.
That’s where Bioadvanced picks up the slack and takes the lead, as it’s designed to do things the Southern way, long, low and slow.
Actually, scratch slow from the list as the last thing this fertilizer is is slow and it’ll enable your grass to grow quickly enough to crowd out the weeds that it’s slowly poisoning.
Primarily designed to help the grasses that are more common in the South to grow strong and toughen them against the heat and humidity of the climate, this 5-In-1 weed and feed is also an effective way to combat the gardener’s worst enemy, Crabgrass.
Best Time To Use It: As the temperature outside needs to be between fifty and ninety degrees Fahrenheit, the best time to break out a bag of Bioadvanced and start spreading it on your lawn is either Spring or Fall. When it starts to get too hot outside, it’s too late to apply it and you’ll have to wait until the temperatures begin to fall again.
How To Apply It: The first and most important thing that you need to know is that if your lawn isn’t wet, don’t even think about spreading Bioadvanced.
The soil and grass need to be wet in order for it be properly absorbed, and when they are you should ideally spread between two and a half and three pounds of the granules over every thousand square feet of your lawn using a drop spreader to ensure an even, and through the dispersal of the granules. The more evenly you spread it, the more effective it’ll be.
- Once Should Be Enough: You should, in theory, only need to spread Bioadavanced on your lawn once a year, but in actuality, it’s most effective if it’s spread at the beginning of March and at the end of September. It may say once on the packet, but in our experience, it’s always better to double up.
- Crabgrass Can’t Escape: Not even the notoriously difficult to kill crabgrass can evade the Bioadvanced touch. It’s kill-em-all let the lawn sort them out herbicide that decimates weeds and makes sure that your lawn remains strong and healthy.
- Southern Style: The only weak link in the Biodanved chain is that it was designed for Southern lawns, and only works with certain grass types. If you’re unsure whether or not it’ll be effective for your lawn, it might be worth taking a look online to see if your lawn falls within its remarkably powerful nitrogen-powered grip.
- KILLS TOUGH WEEDS: Apply to actively growing turf to target hard to kill weeds like dandelions, clovers and black medic; plus, our revolutionary formula kills over 200 types of weeds
- PREVENTS NEW WEEDS: Creates an extended 6-month control barrier that prevents new weeds from emerging
- KILLS LARGE CRABGRASS: Contains four proven weed killers to control crabgrass, killing to the root. Crabgrass starts to turn purple in 3 days – that’s the sign it’s working
- PREVENTS NEW CRABGRASS: Prevents crabgrass from reemerging for up to 6 months by forming a barrier at the top layer of the soil. And it won’t harm your lawn when used as directed
- GREENS UP TO 3 MONTHS: Fertilizer formula feeds your lawn for quick greening, long-lasting feeding and stronger turf
GreenView has a simple philosophy that immediately endeared their products to us – “Go for the green!”
It speaks volumes about what the brand expects its products to achieve for their customers and this weed and feed relies on time-released nitrogen which lasts up to eight weeks to make sure that the grass on your lawn grows quickly and efficiently while killing more than two hundred and fifty different varieties of weeds.
All in all, it’s an effective weed and feed system that does exactly what GreenView says it will, it makes your lawn go for the only kind of green that matters to any gardener while eliminating the unwanted weeds that all too often spoil that beautiful jade view.
Best Time To Use It: You can use it at any point throughout the year. As long as you mow your grass a couple of days beforehand and ensure that it’s damp before you spread the granules to make sure that they stick to the grass, seasons and time aren’t important. Whenever you see the dreaded weeds begin to appear, you can use Greenview to beat them back and feed your lawn at the same time.
How To Apply It: Only spread GreenView on your lawn when it’s wet, and always use a drop spreader to ensure that it’s applied evenly. If it hasn’t rained for twenty-four hours after you’ve applied it, use a hose or sprinkler to dampen the grass and give GreenView a chance to really get to work.
- Non-Seasonal – You can spread it whenever you start to see weeds appear and it’ll effectively control two hundred and different varieties of weed.
- Easy To Use – All you need to weed and feed the GreenView way is a little bit of rain and drop spreader and your lawn will start to look the way you always wanted it to.
- St Augustine – If you live in Florida and your lawn is devoted to St. Augustine grass, don’t use GreenView. It won’t end well if you do.
- Granular lawn care product that kills over 250 weeds as listed on the label
- Time-released nitrogen for extended feeding for up to 8 weeks
- Promotes quick green up; will not burn lawn
- Restores nutrients to the soil and helps lawn retain water to protect against heat and drought
- 27-0-4 NPK Formulation, no phosphates - helps protect our waterways
Three Dog Night was right about one being the loneliest number, especially if you’re a weed that’s just run headlong into Preen.
It uses a zero Phosphorus slow-release system that feeds your lawn for up to six weeks after it’s first applied and kills two hundred and fifty different types of weed with its active herbicide formula.
Best of all though, while your lawn is growing big and strong on the non-phosphorus formula (which means that it won’t leave burnt patches on your lawn), it also blocks crabgrass and wipes dandelions off your yards map.
The Best Time To Use It: Anytime that you see a weed start to appear on your lawn is the right time to use Preen One, which can eliminate crabgrass up to four weeks after it first appears. It isn’t seasonal dependent and can be used throughout the year as long as the grass on your lawn is wet.
How To Use It: As soon as you see the weeds appear, and when your lawn is wet, break open the bag and pour it into a drop spreader, and leave an even, thorough coating of One on the grass.
If the heavens haven’t opened within twenty-four hours of your lawn being treated, break out a hosepipe and soak it down so that the Preen can start to get to work.
- Simple To Use: Wait for the rain, load it into a drop spreader and as soon as your lawn is covered, stand back and let Preen do what it does best. Feed the grass and kill the weeds.
- Anytime You Need It: You can lay Preen down any time you see weeds appear, and as well as strangling unwanted crabgrass and dandelions, it’ll give your grass a much needed growth spurt that’ll help it to crush the weeds and take your lawn back from its enemy.
- Poor Old St. Augustine – It isn’t exactly on first name terms with St Augustine grass or any other Southern favorites and shouldn’t be used on any of them. If you do, you’ll regret it and so will your lawn.
- Stops crabgrass all season and can be applied up to 4 weeks after crabgrass emerges
- Kills dandelions and up to 250 other tough lawn weeds as listed, to the root
- Feeds your lawn for up to eight weeks with a, zero-phosphorus 24-0-6 formula
- Do not use this product on St Augustinegrass, colonial bentgrass, dichondra or carpet grass as serious lawn injury will result
- Kills dandelions and crabgrass in one easy weed and feed application.
Organic gardening, just like organic farming, is becoming increasingly popular, and to cater to the ever-increasing desire in the horticultural community to minimize the use of pesticides and herbicides, more and more brands are creating natural products to replace the chemical-heavy ones.
And Espoma is one of those brands and their natural weed and feed is the organic gardener’s new best friend.
Based on a super-secret corn-gluten formula, it’ll feed your lawn and wipe out any unwanted weeds including crabgrass and dandelions, and won’t burn, score, or leave a mark on your lawn. It’s an all-natural weed and feed that makes us think that anything is possible.
The Best Time To Use It: Espoma advises its customers that their organic weed and feed should only be laid twice a year, in early spring before weeds begin to germinate and in early Fall when they’re less of a problem. In other words, at the start of March and the beginning of September.
How To Use It: Again, it’s all about the weather and the drop spreader. Make sure your grass is wet, and then load your drop spreader and make sure that your lawn is evenly coated with Espoma’s organic wonder weed and feed.
Twenty-four hours after you’ve covered your lawn, gently hose it down and it’ll get straight to work.
- All- Natural – Because it’s organic and one hundred percent natural, as soon as you’ve spread it on your lawn you can let your kids, your dog, and your cat back into your yard without a single care or worry.
- Twice A Year – It’ll take a couple of hours (at most) twice a year to lay Espoma and that’s a sacrifice worth making for a pristine lawn.
- Established Lawns Only – It can’t be used on freshly seeded lawns and should only ever be used on lawns that are already in full swing. We don’t know why and Espoma won’t tell us, but as it’s right at the top of their big list of things not to do, we’re not going to argue with them.
- Made from corn gluten meal
- Feeds lawns to ensure a deep, green color and prevents weeds by inhibiting root development in seedlings
- Apply twice per year, early spring and fall
- Granulated for easy application, Espoma Organic Weed Preventer provides long lasting nitrogen for a thicker, greener lawn
- Children and pets can safely play on lawn after application.
Spectracide believes that you should be the master of the gardening food chain, and they make products that are designed to put the amateur horticulturalist in charge.
Their fast-acting weed and feed is proof positive of their mission statement and its twenty percent nitrogen formula was created to push your lawn into overdrive and crowd out the weeds while its herbicide gets to work.
It’s a near-perfect weed and feed tag team that can be used as often as you want to and will efficiently target and eradicate any broadhead weeds that have decided to take up residence on your lawn.
The Best Time To Use It: You can use it anytime you want to., As soon as you see weeds popping up and beginning to raise their ugly heads on your lawn, you can set the Spectracide to spray and let them know who’s the boss of your lawn.
How To Use It: Connect a hosepipe to the bottle, turn the faucet on and start to spray. It’s that easy. Before you do go wild with Spectracide though, make sure your lawn is wet before you begin to spray and that the weather forecast doesn’t predict any rain in the immediate future. It needs time to work before the rain washes it away.
- Straightforward And Simple: Connect the hose, turn the faucet on and you’re ready to start spraying. It’s that easy.
- Anytime You Want: As long as it’s been raining, you can use Spectracide whenever you want to. When the weeds begin to show up, turn them away with a healthy spray of Spectracide.
- The Fish Thing: If you have a pond in your garden, you should probably avoid using Spectracide as it’s toxic to fish. It might be a good idea to make sure that your kids and your pets don’t play on your lawn for a day or two after it’s been sprayed. Just in case…
- DUAL-ACTION FORMULA: Kills major broadleaf weeds while feeding your lawn.
- FEEDS LAWN: Fertilizes with 20 percent nitrogen formulation.
- KILLS WEEDS: Controls dandelion, chickweed, knotweed, plantain, clover, mallow, purslane and many broadleaf weeds as listed.
- QUICKFLIP SPRAYER: Just connect to your hose and spray – just grip, flip and go.
- COVERAGE: 32 ounces treats up to 7,500 square feet of lawn.
Sometimes the easiest solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems appear straight out of left field.
Take Pennington for example, we would never have imagined that we’d use fertilizer as a weed and feed, but we’re happy to report that not only does it work, it also does what it claims it will do incredibly well.
It’s a nitrogen-rich fertilizer with a heavy iron content, that slowly releases the former and imbues your lawn with the latter which darkens it and transforms it from sun-bleached light green into a deep, rich emerald color that’ll be the envy of all of your neighbors.
The Best Time To Use It: You’ll only have a relatively short window of opportunity to coat your lawn with the fertilizer that opens in late June and closes in late August, so you’ll need to act fast and make sure that you spread it while you can.
How To Use It: For once, you can leave the drop spreader alone and forget all about it. While a lot of gardeners would prefer to do things the traditional way with a conventional spreader, we’ve always done things a little differently.
That’s why we use a roller to spread fertilizer. Just fill it up and pretend that you’re mowing the lawn and the roller will deposit an even coat of fertilizer, and Pennington will do the rest.
- It’s A Universal Weed And Feed: Regardless of which State you reside in and what the climate is like, Pennington will work wonders on your lawn.
- The Envy Of All: And with a little Pennington care and attention, your lawn will become a deep emerald centerpiece to your garden that will be the envy of all of your neighbors.
- St Augustine… Again: It’s another weed and feed that’ll leave a trail of misery and woe on your lawn if it’s home to St. Augustine grass.
- Fertilizer and kills over 250 broadleaf weeds, including dandelion, henbit, dollar weed, White clover, plantain and chickweed
- Treats northern and southern grasses
- Not for floral St. Augustine
- Quick greening
- Extended feeding
When you absolutely, positively have to have the best lawn in your neighborhood, the only weed and feed that you can realistically choose is The Andersons.
It’s a four-way professional herbicide that’s also packed with slow and fast-release nitrogen, so you should start to see an improvement in the quality of your lawn within days.
It’ll effectively and efficiently kill two hundred and fifty different varieties of weed while encouraging the grass that populates your lawn to become a luscious, green carpet. Whoever said that you can’t have it all had never heard of or crossed paths with The Andersons
The Best Time To Use It: That’s the beauty of The Andersons, you can use it whenever you want to, through all the seasons. Whenever the weeds appear or begin to try and gain a foothold on your lawn, you beat them back with this weed and feed.
How To Use It: This is where it gets a little complicated. You’ll need to mow and then irrigate your lawn twenty-four hours before you spread it using a drop spreader to evenly coat your lawn with the weed and feed.
And then you’ll need to try and make sure that it doesn’t rain for twenty-four hours afterward. It isn’t easy, but then the best things in life never are, are they?
- The Professionals Choice: It’s a four-way herbicide that uses slow and fast release nitrogen to push your lawn beyond the amateur level. Why wouldn’t you choose to use it?
- Anytime At All: And you can lay it on your lawn whenever the mood takes you or weeds appear. It’s your choice.
- It’s A Little Complicated: The Andersons don’t make life easy which might put you off spreading it on your lawn.
- Professional-grade, four-way herbicide designed to provide quicker control over a broader list of weeds
- Kills over 250 weeds including dandelions, clover, chickweed, plantains, and more
- Provides superior performance throughout entire growing season, even when applied in the cooler temperatures of spring and fall
- Feeds to build thicker, greener lawns -- Contains both quick-release nitrogen (for immediate green-up) and 25% slow-release nitrogen (for extended feeding)
- Smaller particles result in superior coverage and performance
And finally, because we’re fans of the underdog, we thought we’d choose an underdog brand that few of our gardening friends seem to place much faith in.
They might not be fans of the Jonathan Green philosophy of creating the new American lawn by using superior grass biology and soil genetics, but we are.
It’s an easy solution to an eternal problem, as this weed and feed utilizes the idea that the best way to beat weeds is by forcing them into submission with a rich, well-fed lawn.
Of course, it helps that the herbicide that this weed and feed uses coats and slowly eradicates more than two hundred species of weed, which makes it an effective and devastating weapon in any gardener’s arsenal.
The Best Time To Use It: That would be when it’s slightly cooler, and your lawn is damp. So, the beginning of Spring and the start of Fall are ideal.
How To Use It: Wait until your lawn is damp, then spread it evenly using a roller and let Jonathan Green and nature take care of the rest.
- Cheering On The Underdog: It’s easy to apply, does what it says it will, and is an American-owned and operated brand. What more do you need or want to know?
- Crabgrass: If crabgrass is an issue that troubles your lawn, you’ll need to look elsewhere as Jonathan Green won’t be able to help you.
- FEEDS LAWNS FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS - The lawn fertilizer has an analysis of 21-0-3 and is designed to promote lush green growth. It provides gradual, consistent nutrient release for up to 3 months. Cannot be used at the same time as seeding a new lawn.
- CONTROLS OVER 250 WEEDS - Green-Up Weed & Feed kills weeds down to the root. Our weed killer controls over 250 broadleaf weeds including dandelions, chickweed, clover, wild onions, thistle, poison ivy, and more.
- FINE PARTICLE SIZE - The fine particle size of Green-Up Weed & Feed is perfect for weed control and feeding action. It feeds desirable grass longer while weeds gradually disappear from the lawn.
- EASY TO APPLY - Green-Up Weed & Feed should be applied using a rotary, drop, or hand-held spreader. Best results are obtained by applying when weeds are actively growing.
- COMPLETE COVERAGE - This 15 lb bag covers up to 5,000 sq. ft. The best time to apply is late spring or early fall.
Which Weed And Feed Is The Right One For My Lawn?
Normally, we’d run through a few frequently asked questions and give you the answers, but honestly, we’ve covered just about everything you need to know about weed and feed.
Apart, of course, from which weed and feed you should use if you want to follow in our footsteps and grow the sort of lawn you’ll be proud of for years to come.
And if that is the case, the only choice you can make is the same one that the professionals do, and that’s to feed and weed your lawn with The Andersons.